Empowering companies to strut their stuff in the digital age.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 from TalentRooster

Video Resume Should Be Short and Sweet

The other day someone sent me a piece entitled, "I never needed a BlackBerry, but boy did it improve my life"! In my mind the jury's still out on that statement - don't get me wrong, I'm addicted to my BlackBerry, but I can't swear it's improved my life. Frankly it might have complicated things as I'm now available 24/7 and can't seem to put it down!

While technology continues to evolve, so should your resume - you need a video resume. Put yourself in the role of any hiring manager. Think how many hundreds of resumes they receive and how little time is spent actually reading them. I read somewhere that the average hiring manager spends less than 20 seconds reviewing a resume! I know job seekers that have spent countless hours writing the perfect resume or paying top dollar to have someone else do it. Times have changed and so should your resume.

Video resumes are no longer the stereotypical mess that you find on YouTube. There are professional sources out there that make certain you capture your best 60 seconds (and it won't end up as fodder on some website). Recent advances in technology have made it so any novice with a computer and webcam can record a professional video resume. You no longer need to be a "techy" to do it and you certainly don't have to pay out the nose either - it's not expensive.

Having a professional video resume will increase your chances for hire by 50% or more. Hiring managers won't spend the time digging through a static "paper" resume but they will watch a professional video that is short and to the point - which reminds me... There is NO reason your video should be more than two minutes - being brief is key! You want to create interest, not provide a disseration on your work history.

This technology is becoming more widely accepted and within the next 12-18 months, virtually every company will only accept video resumes for their open postions. Show them you are ahead of the curve. Check out TalentRooster.com to learn more. Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment